Wednesday, October 02, 2002

Taking a break in Las Vegas

I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas around 4 hours ago. My brother had a conference at the Bellagio and we thought it would be a good idea to take my dad for the weekend. 72 hours in Vegas can make a nice dent in one's wallet, but at least they had fun. I'm not much of a gambler, but my dad enjoys the craps tables so I spent a large part of the trip placing bets for him.

What does this have to do with chess? Well, every night we were getting back to the room past midnight. On the first night, I stayed up to do a chapter from Chess Tactics for Students but the lack of rest affected my attention span. Imagine me sitting in the bathroom working through Double Attack problems at 2 am while my brother and dad slept. Not wanting to compromise the quality of my study, I decided not to do this again and took a timeout from chess study until I returned from Vegas. I'm back in San Francisco now, and will resume tomorrow.

No comments: